Employment opportunities at United Way of Rock River Valley
United Way is committed to making positive change in our community. That means our talent is: mission focused, relationship oriented, collaborative, and results driven.
We believe that our talent is among our greatest assets necessary to build the powerful social movement to improve people's lives and advance the common good for all. That is why United Way is committed to attracting, developing, retaining, and creating careers for diverse talent and leadership who will work interdependently toward accomplishing our goals in the Rock River Valley.
Current job listings:
Director of Communications and Marketing
The Director of Communications & Marketing is expected to demonstrate a high standard of ethical business conduct, to function with minimal supervision and serve as a core member of the leadership team providing mature, confidential direction for the organization in concert with the other members of the team. This position provides all aspects of communications and marketing from development to execution, evaluating the impact all along the way and adjusting as needed to ensure the same message is delivered AND received. Marketing is a key component of UWRRV as it is needed to support all development efforts and promotion of the organization. The success of marketing is reflected in development.
This position is responsible for all communications and marketing produced and disseminated by UWRRV. They strategize are messages, develop the materials, ensure their proper production, execute their delivery, evaluate their effectiveness, and adjust any messaging to ensure the correct message is always delivered. They oversee all internal and external communication and marketing and ensure the positive promotion of the organization and all initiatives and community partners. Duties and responsibilities associated with this position include (this is not an exhaustive list):
• Create all annual campaign promotional materials for workplace campaigns and individual donors
• Create and design all public-facing documents
• Create all materials that support initiative focuses
• Create, write, design and arrange printing and/or dissemination of monthly (electroinc) and quarterly (print) newsletters
• Organize and distribute all large-scale printing needs with local printers
• Develop, plan and implement media outreach around events, announcements and results
• Utilize all that United Way Worldwide and United Way of Illinois has to offer in terms of marketing materials, ideas and connections
• Establish self as point of contact for local media
• Establish and maintain strong working relationship with any marketing consultant(s) UWRRV may work with
• Set content submission deadlines for team and ensure timely submittal for inclusion in marketing and campaign materials
• Adhere to all branding requirements when creating marketing materials
• Grow and strengthen relationships with media partners by increasing perception of UWRRV as a valuable, reliable, quick-to-respond and insightful source
• Create news releases, media advisories and OpEds as they relate to our initiatives
• Attend events, as needed, taking pictures, capturing feedback and supporting development
• Plan, organize and post all social media content across appropriate social media platforms
• Analyze social media research, impressions and clicks to determine best social media marketing practices
• Design, write, edit and maintain all content for organization’s website, unitedwayrrv.org
• Participate in leadership meetings to develop organizational goals/objectives and determine optimal marketing support
• Develop marketing budget with CEO and CFO and align marketing practices with budget
• Create, strategize and carry out year-long marketing plan
• Shoot and edit small scale video content for internal and external audiences; organize the outsourcing of large scale video projects
• Support team in the development of talking points and presentation materials for external communications
• Participate in general staff meetings and other meetings and events planned by the organization
• Performs other duties as assigned
Supervision of Marketing Manager and Leadership
• Proven ability to supervise staff and help them to grow in their confidence, skills and abilities
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe CS Design Software
• Experience with advanced web technologies and electronic communications platforms
• Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
• Collaborative: Must have the ability to work with and through peers and colleagues to get results in a win/win manner.
• Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
• Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of UWRRV and the greater network.
• Interpersonal Skills: A high degree of interpersonal skills required to smoothly interface and represent UWRRV with numerous constituencies.
• Network-Oriented: Values the power of networks; striving to leverage United Way’s breadth of community presence, relationships, and strategy.
• Judgment: Ability to assimilate a wide array of information and focus on the key issues. Ability to deal with broad issues and detailed facts.
United Way is the leader and trusted partner in improving lives, tackling key community issues and making the community a better place for all. Work is carried out with the intent of always delivering on the mission of the organization. The environment is generally represented by normal office conditions but can vary with organizational demands. Timely completion of special requests, projects and to meet deadlines associated with primary duties is expected and may require time outside the workday.
• Good vision with ability to distinguish color and hearing acuity (with adaptive aids if necessary)
• Manual dexterity and frequent repetitive hand/arm movements utilizing computer keyboard
• Constant sitting
• Occasional standing, walking, bending, kneeling, pushing, reaching, squatting and moving/lifting approximately 25 pounds
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. The employee will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by the employee's supervisor.
Requirements are representative of the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, and/or abilities to perform this job successfully. The incumbent will possess the abilities or aptitude to perform each duty proficiently.
United Way of Rock River Valley is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this position, please email your resume and cover letter to Cheryl Church at email@example.com. In the subject line, please mention United Way and/or Director of Communications & Marketing.