- Published on Thursday, 30 April 2015 21:41
United Way of Rock River Valley is dedicated to improving the quality of life for our children and their families. Join us to make an impact on our community.
AFL- CIO Labor Engagement Manager
Reports to: Vice President
Purpose of the position:
Provide planning, coordination, development, implementation and overall leadership, vision and focus in the development and implementation of the AFL-CIO Community Services Program with a major emphasis on increasing labor support of the United Way campaign, cultivating AFL-CIO/ United Way partnerships; promoting and implementing community activities and projects of the AFL-CIO affiliated and non-affiliated unions.
AFL-CIO Labor Engagement Managers are dues paying union members of affiliated AFL-CIO unions. They are part of a nationwide network assigned to United Ways.
Key Responsibilities and specific duties:
• Support labor representatives on the Board of Directors and Campaign Cabinet.
• Work actively with the campaign team to provide pertinent information on union accounts including climate and contacts, identify areas of possible growth, and obtain active support from local union leaders for the annual workplace campaign.
• Increase labor participation in United Way campaigns.
• Improve labor participation on volunteer committees and boards.
• Maintain ongoing communication with all local unions, educating them on United Way of Rock River Valley, its initiatives and funded agency programs.
• Work with partner agencies to help workers and their families access community services. This includes strike assistance and dislocated workers assistance, and sharing education and information on local and national policy affecting workers.
• Work on and assist with special union projects such as NALC Food Drive & Workers Memorial Day. And other events as asked to participate and assist.
• Network and build relationships among Health, Human Services, Community, and other organizations with organized labor and UWRRV.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Strong customer relationship skills
• Strong comfort with public speaking
• Preferred experience in fundraising
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills with an ability to relate effectively with a diverse group of individuals and organizations in a positive, respectful manner
• Knowledge and experience using Microsoft Office Programs and preferred knowledge in Adobe products
• Possess strong interpersonal and communication skills allowing for success in a team environment
• Willingness to embrace and adhere to United Way standards, corporate culture, and ethics
• Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities
• Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of situations
• Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from board members, staff members, union members, donors , and the public
• High standards of quality, performance, and accountability
• Flexibility with occasional early morning, late evening/weekend meetings and events
Bachelor's degree and 2 – 4 years related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Must be or willing to become a dues paying member of an affiliated ALF-CIO union. Must have a valid driver's license and insurance.